Monday, September 19, 2005

rediscover


I am a pack rat, climb into my attic and you will sideswipe land minds of old bedding, christmas ornaments, toys, spare computer parts, and other assorted odds and ends. I don't know what I did before I got all that space up there. I lived in a tiny loft and shoved all my junk in my laundry room so that every time I had to pull down the detergent, piles of celebrity trash mags would fall on my head and into my whites. Now I need a whole attic for my crap. Once in awhile I climb up there to find a missing cable or storage box and I stumble upon old things that I forgot that I had, something tossed aside that I didn't need, but now, after not seeing it for so long, seems to have a use again. I had a similar rediscovery experience this weekend on a day trip downtown,

I hate downtown, no let me rephrase that, I hate the "Underground Atlanta" venue. Recently the city of Atlanta directed party goers to their flagship of tourism, aka "The Underground". Located appropriately under the monstrous blinking "coke" sign outside the WOC museum. Equipped with such venues as The Ally Cat and Latin Sol, one would be in for a night of beer charged brew haw haw that would put most college frat party to shame.

Needless to say I haven't gone downtown in quite some time. We decided to give it a try and found some pretty cool spots to shoot. The Underground was still a nightmare, I was assaulted with scents of taffy, cotton candy and peanuts, mixed with the complimentary and highly pungent smell of mildew and water rot seeping from the walls. We had to push past all the vendors peddling fake Pradas and Gucci, past the bums asking for money and tourist kids chasing pigeons. I couldn't find a bathroom anywhere, and had to wait in line for 5 minutes while the girl at the McDonalds cashier looked bored and walked around the front desk ignoring us. But through it all I actually felt like I was in a city again, seeing it in a different way for the first time. Granted, she was a very dirty, cranky city, but still it was cool to rediscover her nonetheless.

More downtown pics here

1 Comments:

  • Yes; I agree, downtown is more of a hassle than it is usually worth!

    By Blogger Zen Wizard, at 10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home